I made this recipe this week for my women’s small group and I was surprised at how well they turned out. No sugar and no flour in these – and they were GOOD!! If cut into 12 equal brownies, each one would be 4 Weight Watchers points. But, more importantly, I believe these are good to go for those who are gluten-free! (Not 100% sure on that, because I’m not, but I think so.)
I don’t remember exactly who shared this recipe or how I found it, but it came from MomColoredGlasses.
Black Bean Brownies
- 1 oz dark chocolate, melted with 1 tbsp butter (I used a Toll House Dark Chocolate cooking bar)
- 1 can plain back beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 eggs + 1 egg white
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup heaped cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup unsalted walnuts, chopped
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray an 8×8 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
2) Melt the dark chocolate in the microwave with 1 tbsp of water.
3) Place all ingredients, except walnuts, in a food processor. Process until consistency is smooth.
4) Pour batter into prepared dish and sprinkle with walnuts.
5) Bake for about 30 minutes, until top is dry and begins to pull away from the sides of the dish.
I brought some fat-free cool whip along to use as a topping, but the original recipe says she used a dollop of greek yogurt (which also sounds good)!
Zach LOVED them. We brought one home from women’s group and he devoured his dinner so he could eat that last brownie sitting in the pan. When he was done, he literally picked up the dish and started licking it! If it has no sugar in it and it’s a hit with a 3-yr old, I’m SOLD (sorry for the bad photo quality)!! 😉