No, this isn’t a blog post about people who steal things, but my favorite Young Living oil blend to date. Since so many people are currently being held hostage by a wicked cold and flu season, I figured I needed to help get the word out to anyone who wasn’t aware of what Thieves can do to protect you and your family!
The Thieves blend gets it name from, you guessed it, four thieves from France who protected themselves from the Black Plague with cloves, rosemary and other aromatics while robbing victims of the killer disease. When captured, they were offered a lighter sentence in exchange for their secret recipe. Young Living’s highly antibacterial proprietary blend includes clove, cinnamon bark, rosemary, lemon and eucalyptus radiata and has been specially blended to offer the same kind of defense. Thieves has a 99.96% kill rate against airborne microorganisms. Hey, if it can protect from the plague, I think we’re good against the flu, right?
Ways we’ve personally used it in the last month:
- Daily on our 5-yr old’s feet in the morning to help protect from any bacteria he may come into contact with. Even with his weakened immune system due to thalassemia, he survived a major flu outbreak in his class at school without so much as a cough!
- Diffusing it the house to proactively keep us all healthy (and I absolutely LOVE the smell – it reminds me of Chai Tea!).
- I put 2 drops in coconut milk and drank it when I was starting to feel like a major allergy attack was hitting me.
- When our 5-yr old was starting to get hit hard by cedar allergies, we added RC to what we put on his feet before bed – the effects of RC are amplified when Thieves is used over it, so that was added to the nighttime routine as well. We’ve been able to start weaning him off his daily allergy medication (Flonase and Zyrtec) and have successfully stepped back to every other day. Every two days is next!
Thieves has endless uses:
- Cold & Flu. Diffuse Thieves in your home, rub a drop on the bottom of the feet and/or put 1 drop of oil in a glass of water and drink. Do this proactively for prevention!
- Strep Throat. Drop 2-4 drops in water and gargle as needed. Dilute 50/50 with a carrier oil and apply to throat and back of neck.
- Household Germs. Put 2-6 drops of oil in a small spray bottle and fill with water. Spray counter tops, bathtubs, toilets, sinks, door knobs, etc. They also make a Thieves spray and Thieves wipes for use on the go (at the gym, grocery store, restaurants, etc.)
- Open Wounds. Apply 1-3 drops to cuts or open wounds to prevent infection and promote healing.
- Bronchitis. Dilute 2-6 drops of oil 50/50 and rub on chest and upper back. Diffuse.
- Cold Sores & Fever Blisters. Put 1 drop on a cold sore or blister 3 times a day or as needed until gone.
- Fungal Skin & Toe Infections. Put 1 drop of oil on the infection 2 to 3 times daily until gone.
- Sore Throat. Mix with a tablespoon of water, gargle and swallow.
- Headache. Put a drop on your thumb and apply to the roof of your mouth.
- Acne. Take internally and apply to the skin, diluted.
- Dishes. Add a few drops to your dishwasher for cleaner dishes.
- Laundry. Add to your laundry for cleaner clothes.
- Cleaning. Add several drops to mop water for cleaner floors or put a few drops in your carpet steamer to disinfect carpet. Mix several drops with baking soda to clean bathtubs.
- Plants & Flowers. Mix 8-12 drops with water in a 4 oz. spray bottle to repel insects on your flowers and plants.
- Gingivitis/Bleeding Gums. Rub a drop or two of oil all over gums twice a day until gone.
- Mold. Diffuse to kill mold wherever present.
- Smoking Cessation. Put on the tip of your tongue to help stop smoking.
- Coughing. Mix 1-2 drops with honey in a teaspoon for relief.
- Hotels. Put a few drops on a tissue and place near the heat/AC vents of a hotel room to rid it of airborne germs.
See why this is our favorite oil? What I love about Thieves (well, all the oils, actually) is that it’s so versatile. We are naturally giving our family protection and keeping our house bacteria free, just by diffusing it and keeping it around us. If I were to use it to treat a cold sore, I would be protecting myself from other bacteria and viruses at the same time!
Zach not getting the flu when it wiped out his class a few weeks ago (anyone who’s seen my Facebook feed since he was born knows that he usually gets everything!) is one of the major factors in us becoming such believers in these oils and wanting to shout from the rooftops to everyone we know about them!
To learn more about joining the wonderful world of Young Living essential oils, click here. Don’t worry – you will have the support of me and an amazing private Facebook group where you can ask questions and see how others are using their oils. We won’t leave you to waste money on a bunch of stuff you don’t know how to use!
*Please note: Only 100% pure, therapeutic grade Young Living Essential Oils are used by our family. Using “perfume grade” or any other essential oils that may be adulterated with chemicals can be very dangerous, especially for digestion.
*Disclaimer: The information in this post is simply to educate and inform you about essential oils and Young Living products. At no time do I recommend replacing traditional medical treatment or doctor visitations with information you have obtained in these posts. If you have a serious medical conditions please visit a licensed doctor in your area.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These statements are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease.